I don’t know about you, but since becoming a mum, taking time for yourself is more important then ever. I look back before I had kids, I honestly don’t know what I used to do with my time. I know I took the quiet peaceful times for granted that’s for sure. These days I appreciate the smallest of pleasures, going groceries shopping…ALONE!!! seriously, I walk around the shops smiling! My life has changed so much since becoming a mum, priorities shift and trying to look after yourself on a daily basis becomes harder and harder. But I have recently realised it is so important to make sure you pencil in those times to recharge your batteries. So here is a list of things I like to do to unwind, recharge and switch of so that I can try and be the best mum I can be without being all stressed out (those days still happen, nothing will change that!) but less so now!
- Netflix, chocolate and a glass of wine; all three preferably, but ill take the Netflix and chocolate at the moment while I’m pregnant. When the kids go to bed, there is nothing more I love to do then snuggle on the sofa with the other half and chill watching our favourite TV shows, at the moment that is Suits, it was Homeland, but we finished that series. It used to be Game of thrones but we have seen all the episodes, just for fun every now and then we will replay some old ones. But just to be able to watch tv in peace and relax is nice. Its a luxury I don’t take for granted anymore! And it is important to make time for your partner, when through the day life seems to revolve all around little people. Moments like these are precious.
- Gym Time; After I had Elijah I joined a local gym and found the classes so relaxing and tiring, but rewarding. It was nice to have that bit of me time and know I was doing something just for me. I felt really good after a class. When I fell pregnant again I stopped going, and cancelled my membership. I really need to get back into it after my baby number 3. I loved the gym because the crèche was in the same room as where they do the class, so you could see your children. It was good. I loved it, one day I would do a weights or high energy class, the next I would do a stretching low impact class. it was so good for me, and I will get back into the gym again, its a must! I actually have a exercise bike, which was in our lounge room, but I never used it! Stupid me. I came home one day, Carl had decided to remove it to the garage. I couldn’t blame him really. But I do know when this baby has arrived, it’s something I need to get back into. I’m not even really looking at getting into shape, but more so because when I exercise it makes me feel good. Which in turn makes me happy. Its a no brainer really!!
- knitting; This is another one I love to do when the kids are asleep, I cant do this with them running around and wanting my attention. so when they are asleep I like to sit down watch tv and pull out the knitting. I am currently working on another baby blanket. I made one when Timmy was little, I started one when i was pregnant with Elijah however, I was not in a good head space and didn’t ever finish it, but this third pregnancy I am feeling more motivated and have started another blanket! I am a basic knitter, but its fun all the same and I find it relaxing!
- Reading; I LOVE reading. Always have, its my favourite thing in the world to do! I still am not convinced by E-reading I much prefer a good book. The pages, the feel the smell. I get to escape into another world for a while and that’s super relaxing. I love reading in the bath, by the ocean or pool and in bed or even outside on a nice warm day while the kids are playing. Autobiographies are my favourite. I find other peoples stories fascinating. I will do a list of my favourite books soon. I am such a book hoarder, I love to keep them and will re-read them later. I always read something I did not remember, or I view the book differently the second time. I am currently reading Jimmy Barnes Working Class Man, I read his first book Working Class Boy and was blown away by his honesty and openness. I am really enjoying the second as well.
- Café; heading out to a café to sit in peace and enjoy a coffee and cake for 30 minutes minus children= bliss. Even just getting to meet a friend for half an hour or an hour with no children, its really nice! The simple things in life these days are the most enjoyable. It is rare I get to do this, but I take the opportunity when I can. Such as last week I had an appointment, Timmy was in school and dad offered to mind Elijah so straight after my appointment I went to a near by café, sat with a coffee and cake and soaked in the pleasure of it all.
- Taking a nap; sometimes even a 30 minute cat nap is enough to recharge the batteries. I usually try to squeeze one in when we have quiet time in the afternoon. Elijah goes for his long sleep, timmy will have some tv time sometimes he even has a nap, and I will squeeze in a little nap. It can do me wonders especially while I am pregnant. I usually start the day with energy, but by the afternoon my motivation is gone and the tiredness has hit!
- Bath Time; honestly who doesn’t love a bath, I have always loved baths. once the kids are in bed, I love a good bath with bubbles (the drinking kind helps also 😉 a good book, some beautiful smelling bath salts or even a bath bomb and candles and your set!! Its so relaxing and helps to switch off after a stressful day! At the moment I am LOVING the bath milk by @Luxbathandbody. It smells incredible and makes my bath feel so much more luxurious. Their sugar bath scrub, I cant underestimate how nice my skin feels for days afterwards. They also make great presents, know someone who expecting, a birthday coming up, Christmas. Any woman would LOVE to receive bath products as a gift. Check them out on Instagram or on their Website
- Mani/Pedi; These days I rarely go for treatments, but when I do, oh is it relaxing. It is so nice to be pampered! Since having kids I prefer not to do a mani, as its to much maintenance to keep the nail polish looking good, so I opt for a pedicure instead. That way when the nail polish starts looking ratty its fine and my shoes cover it! But once In a while I will splurge and get a mani too, I just find it gets chipped on the first day and that’s that!! So I tend to stick with the pedi. plus, who doesn’t like a foot massage…speaking of massages..
- Massage; This is something I try to get once or twice a year. the ultimate relaxing self indulgent thing to do! I usually suggest for a birthday or Christmas gift to get me a massage voucher.. It was recently my birthday, and my sister got me a Massage voucher, YAY!! Usually when I go on holidays I like to book in a massage, the best were when I was in Thailand on the beach, so relaxing and so cheap! Cant go wrong really! We recently went to Darwin for 2 weeks, and I managed to fit in 2 massages. Actually the first one was not that relaxing and was not what I wanted, ill write about that in a separate Darwin post shortly. However, the second….PURE BLISS! I really think I need to make more time for massages as it is something I love and really helps me to relax! And it feels really indulgent!
- Taking a few moments alone; Recently I have found moments I can get by myself through the day. So In the mornings, I will set the kids up with their breakfast, make myself a cup of tea or coffee and some toast, I will then sneak off back into bed where I can indulgently scroll through FB, INSTAGRAM, YOUTUBE ect no interruptions, well until Timmy comes in to tell me he has finished his breakfast. Then its time up! But it is a good 15minutes of me time without the guilt I do the same at lunch time, set them up, make myself lunch and go sit in bed and read or look at social media and that’s another 15minutes of me time. I get to eat in peace and look at my phone without the guilt. Simple pleasures remember! As we speak I am in my bed typing this, Elijah is asleep and Timmy was having quiet time and has fallen asleep on the sofa! WIN for mummy 🙂
- Candles; I can not underestimate the relaxing effect Candles have on me! I love to include them when having a bath, nothing sets the tone like candles. And at night, switch of the lights and have one or two candles on in the lounge room sets a lovely romantic mood, and they smell INCREDIBLE! I love when I am at my computer table, needing to get work done I will light a candle and it helps relax me and put me in a right frame of mind to get through whatever it is I need to tackle! Plus, they make the perfect gift! I am loving these scentorini Candles they smell amazing and have such an amazing range to choose from.
- Sitting outside; It is currently winter here in OZ so the outside time has been culled a little, however there really is nothing like getting some fresh air! Sitting outside with a drink, watching the kids play, enjoying a good book, or just to go for a nice walk.
So these are a few things I enjoy doing to help recharge my batteries. Do you have any favourite things you like to do to unwind and relax? Any products you love to help you relax? Would love to hear about them!