So finally at 36 weeks pregnant i decided to pack my hospital bag! I know, cutting it close right? With Baby #1 I had the hospital bag packed and repacked a good 20 Times by the time i was 30 weeks. Most people nest around the house, sorting and cleaning. No not me, i nested in the baby’s room, obsessively rearranging the draws of clothes, folding them, organizing the baby’s and my hospital bag. You would have thought i was the most organised ready to go mum ever, turns out nope, not so much! Once i had delivered my baby i quickly realized there was a lot i didn’t bring along. For baby, i had everything i needed, even maybe too much. However, for myself i had pretty much nothing!
Maternity pads, 2 packets should be plenty, right? yeah, if your staying just the day! Nope, I needed to send out my man to get me some the following morning, poor thing hadn’t a clue what to get. I told him the larger the better, and as many as you can get a hold of. Seriously, you can never have enough. I had not packed myself body wash which was added onto the list for the man to buy. Taking that first shower is the most incredible feeling in the world, a nice smelling body wash makes all the difference. I had not thought to pack a towel. They didn’t supply them at the hospital. I asked the midwife if i might be able to get one… i was met with a rather rude “No, we don’t supply towels here, you bring your own” before she walked out. As i went for my shower i then realized i had to then try to dry myself with a tiny hand towel, and bath mat which was half the size of a towel, it would do. But i feel sorry for the person who had to wash them! I also had not enough maternity bras, i had packed 2, which one i was wearing during the birth and it became very gross after holding baby and blood was everywhere. It got ruined very quickly. Why i wore a bra during the birth, i don’t know. I had not packed adequate clothing either, i literally spent 2 days in my hospital gown as it was more comfortable than what i had brought and also i had no breast-feeding tops, and with Timmy not feeding properly see my post on my struggle here Breast Feeding, Conflicting Advice, Nipple Shields & Mastitis. I had my boobs out every 2 minutes trying to express, trying to get him to latch properly or the midwives trying to show me different ways of feeding. I think everyone in the hospital, from cleaners, midwives and the kitchen staff witnessed me with my boobs out at some point!
So, being a first time mum, although at the time I thought i had covered myself, it turns out i failed miserably. I am hoping this time around i have succeeded in putting everything i will need in my bag, or my 3 bags i have packed! Fingers crossed i have everything baby and i will need. I have been reassured, they supply towels in this hospital. So no towels needed! Lucky this time we are close to family and should i need anything, i can always give them a call. My step mother works at the hospital, how is that for convenience? So i feel a bit more relaxed about forgetting anything. Although i have Timmy to consider, so i have also packed him a little bag with clothes, PJ’S, nappies, underwear ect to take to my family’s should he need to stay with them, or if he needs to come to the hospital should all my family be at work. But I’m sure when things get started it will all fall into place. So i have put a list into place of what i have packed into baby’s bay and into my bag. Feel free to let me know if there is anything i need to add that i had not thought of!
- 18 New born nappie’s
- 2 PK Baby wipes
- 4x muslin Cloths
- 1 baby blanket
- 3 Bonds full length baby grows, complete with matching hat mittens and bib
- 5 singlets
- 2 baby grows short sleeves, short legs. also complete with matching hat, mittens and bibs.
- 1 pair of pants to go over short leg baby grows.
- 2 pairs of socks
- 1 baby wrap blanket
- 1 baby comforter
- 1 toy from Timmy to give to his baby brother as a present when he arrives 🙂 he picked out a lovely soft blue giraffe.
- 1 toy from baby to give to Timmy when he visits at the hospital – surprise 🙂
- 3 breast-feeding tops
- 8 big pairs of cotton undies, the bigger the better!
- 3 breast-feeding bra’s ( I will not be wearing through labor this time!)
- 5 pks maternity pads, I may add to this in the next few days. like i said, you can never have enough!
- 1 pk breast-feeding pads.
- 1 long loose maternity breast-feeding dress
- 2 maternity skirts
- 1 pair of maternity comfy leggings
- pj pants and top
- Make up bag (should i decide i want to make myself look close to half decent – probably not) – tinted moisturizer, mascara, lip balm.
- Toiletries bag – hair brush, toothbrush, toothpaste, hair elastics, nice smelling body wash, deodorant.
- Phone and charger
- plastic bag for dirty clothes to go in
So that about sum’s up my 3 packed bags ready for the hospital. I would love to know what you have packed in your bag before, or what you would recommend to pack.
xx Life In A Mum Shell xx